Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Violated!

Violated. I feel absolutely violated. I had my debit card information stolen for the third time last week and I am beside myself. Sorry - no dog pictures or adorable stories in this writing - I am just trying to wrap my head around identity theft and online fraud.

People keep saying, oh don’t get so upset – it’s not personal. How could it not be personal when someone is stealing from me? I’m just another person trying to make ends meet and pay the bills and then this happens. I’m sorry, but it is very personal to me.

So for a week I have been calling the bank, canceling my card dealing with the people who auto bill my card for things like the Y and my Audible membership. Things have just been a train wreck. I have no debit card, I worry that other information has been stolen as well. I sit her and stew over the fact that I have tried to do everything I could to ensure that this doesn’t happen; yet once again her I am.

I use McAfee, spyware killer; I only shop where I know. I shred my bills and statements; I always tally my receipts and then shred them too. What else can I do?

I know technology and science advances and all of that are supposed to make a better world, a better life, but I just don’t get it. My landlord’s kid perpetually has a cell phone hanging off his ear and is so sullen and rude for absolutely no reason that I can fathom. People are more self indulgent and less courteous than ever before. I love talking to my friends – but what happened to personal, face-to-face discussion. Even if the technology existed there is no way my parents would have ever given me a cell phone in high school. Nobody rights letters any more and you can forget thank you notes.

I know life is supposed to be better in this modern world – but why do I feel that things have just gone horribly wrong? I used to scoff at my parents and others for talking about the good old days, but now I just wonder where those days went.

I love online shopping, I like the convenience of checking my bank statement online – I just don’t want to be stolen from. These people online that steal your information have no face, no name and really rarely ever get caught or punished for their crime. The unknown has violated me and I think that is what bothers me the most. I see the world spinning at a break neck speed and bad behavior, rudeness and theft are now part of everyday life? I just do not get it. I don’t want to get it.

No comments: