Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lucy Young 1991-2006

My mom just called to let us know that our beloved Golden Retriever, Braevue's Loose Pocket Change, Lucy to the family, has passed away.
Lucy came to us as a gift from a dear family friend. This is a photo I found from her first Christmas with us in 1991. As a kid growing up in a "Labs only" family it was my dream to "have a jeep and raise a golden", needless to say I was fortunate enough to have Lucy paw her way into my life and our family. She was a gift to me, but really mom and I shared her right from the start.
When Lucy was a baby and I was finishing college she lived on the farm with mom. After college she came to live with me and we were joined by Emily Jean a year or so afterwards.
When I decided to move to the Boston area Lucy was simply too old and set in her ways to brave the big city. Lucy stayed with mom and her two Labs Zachary and Mollie and Emily followed me to Boston and graduate school.
This past October 17th Lucy celebrated her 15th birthday. Everyone knew she was really coming to the end, but no one wanted to admit it. I was glad to have Thanksgiving with her and I'm glad that Dory got to meet our grand old lady dog.

2006 has been a hard year, I had major surgery to replace my knee, Emily died all too soon after developing heart disease and now Lucy is gone. I could dwell on the pain and loss but I know it is important to look forward to all that the future holds. Dory is part of our family, my knee is on the mend and this Christmas I will be with those I love. The difficulties we have faced this year make all the joys just a little bit sweeter.

So please, take the time this holiday season to snuggle with your pet, call a friend who lives far away and take time to make a donation or volunteer for a good cause. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "It is not length of life, but depth of life."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dory and Liza,

Thanks for your x'mas card.. and i'm really sorry to heard about your loss. However, i would like to think that Lucy had a good and happy life.. and of cos being loved by you and your family.

Be strong.. and all the best.

Lillie Valentine said...

Dory and Liza: Thanks for stopping by our blog and checking us out. I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. We just lost our 9 month old Airedale puppy two weeks ago and it was very sad (Daisie). Know that Lucy had a GREAT life and was loved. Now she's running free with our sweet Daisie chasing squirrels.
Lillie

3dogcache said...

Hey Dory and Liza,
I saw your comment on Pappys-blogspot and came by to sniff around. Sounds like Lucy had a long wonderful life.
3dogs

3dogcache said...

btw, you're tagged

Molly the Airedale said...

Hi Dory and Liza,
I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. She sure was a pretty girl.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sue and Maggie

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

R.I.P sweet Lucy - what a long and happy life you have lived.

Big hugs to Liza and Dory - may you comfort eachother through this time.

Love
Opy

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

It just proves to us, me and Jeannie, that Dog Lovers are the best people inall the world.

So touching your post about dear Lucy.

love and light
Marvin and Jeannie with a few tears in their eyes.

xxxxx